Allan H. Stokke
Allan H. Stokke is one of California's top criminal trial lawyers, practicing law for more than 40 years. Starting as a prosecutor in the Orange County District Attorney's Office, his practice has been exclusively in the area of criminal defense. Mr. Stokke has tried more than 200 jury trials during his career including many high profile cases involving political figures, law enforcement officials, doctors, lawyers, business executives and celebrities.
Mr. Stokke grew up on a farm harvesting wheat and barley in rural, North Dakota. He graduated cum laude from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota and then attended the University of Chicago Law School. After his graduation in 1965, Mr. Stokke joined the Orange County District Attorney's Office. Following the DA's Office he was co-founder of the law firm Cohen, Stokke, Owen and Davis. In 1985 Mr. Stokke downsized and formed the law firm of Stokke & Riddet with his partner, James D. Riddet, devoting their practice to criminal defense in both the state and federal courts.
Mr. Stokke served on the Orange County Bar Association Board of Directors from 1975-1981. He also served as a member of the Board of Governors of California Attorneys for Criminal Justice from 1991-1994. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and American Inn of the Court (Master Bench Level). Mr. Stokke is a proud member and former president of the Orange County Bar Foundation (OCBF). He was one of the founders of Corporate National Bank in Santa Ana and served as Chairman of the Board, as well as one of the founding members of the Orange County Marathon.
Allan Stokke has served as an instructor for the College of Trial Advocacy and has also authored two college text books, "Concepts of Criminal Law," Holbrook Press, and "Evidence," Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich. He has been a featured speaker for California Trial Lawyers, statewide convention of the Municipal Court Judges, Orange County Bar Association seminars, Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB), Orange County Trial Lawyers and others.
Mr. Stokke is certified by the California State Bar as a criminal law specialist. He has been recognized annually in Best Lawyers of America, Super Lawyers and in numerous other publications. In 1998, he received the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association "Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year" award.
"I keep Al Stokke's business card in my wallet, because after practicing law for almost five decades, I get a lot of calls from thousands of clients I have represented...I give them Al's name and number without hesitation because I know that he is the top criminal defense lawyer in Orange County...He is simply the best - period." P.C.
"When I was a prosecutor in Orange County, I frequently worked on cases against Allan. He is among the very best defense attorneys I encountered. I always found him to be well-prepared and he vigorously asserted his client's interests at all times." S.P.
"I would like to take the time to thank you for the time and energy put into my case. We had much to overcome, and it ended favorably. I am impressed with your professionalism and care. Your demeanor, wisdom, and ethics resemble that of my father, whom I have the greatest admiration and respect for. Based on your performance with this case, I must acknowledge your reputation precedes you. I know you were just doing your job, but I would like to extend my gratitude in every possible way..." D.S.
"Thank you for giving me the opportunity to change my life. I am going to prove it to myself and everyone that matters in my life that I am going to be the best person I can be! Thank you for keeping me out of jail." M.C.J.
"Thank you very much for your amazing handling of ***'s difficult case. Because of you, he has a chance to turn his life around." Z.S.
"We are sooo very much thankful for everything you did, your long hours, hard work, commitment and dedication towards ***'s case. We could never thank you enough. From the bottom of our heart, Thank You!" R.P. and family
"Thank you so very much for your professionalism and fairness. We are very grateful to you for everything you have done for us." R. and S.M.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Criminal Law - State and Federal Courts
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Specialist in Criminal Law by the California State Bar for over 30 years
- California, 1966
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1975
- Supreme Court of California, 1966
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1965
- Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota
- Bachelor of Science cum laude
- "Concepts of Criminal Law", Holbrook Press, textbook
- Evidence, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, textbook
- Various Seminars on Criminal Law for Continuing Education for the Bar, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Orange County Trial Lawyers , Orange County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell Which is the Highest Rating
- Best Lawyers of America, 1988 - Present
- "Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year", Orange County Trial Lawyer's Association, 1998
- Marcus Kaufman Jurisprudence Award , 2008
- Orange County Bar Foundation – Fellows Award for Outstanding Service , 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Foundation , President
- Orange County Criminal Defense Bar Association , Board Member , 2010 - 2011
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice , Board Member , 1990 - 1992
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys , Member , 1975 - Present
- Orange County Bar Foundation, Member and Former Member of Board , 1966 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Cohen, Stokke & Davis , Partner, 1968 - 1991
- Orange County District Attorney , Deputy District Attorney , 1966 - 1968
Pro Bono Activities
- Chairman and Member of Board, Orange County Marathon, 2004 - 2011
- Commentator, criminal law subjects for Fox News, CNN, and other media
- Pi Gamma Mu